Commercial name(s) / Supplier(s) :
Chemical structure :
PEG-12 Dimethicone is an amphiphilic molecula : the PEG-12 part is hydrophilic, and the Dimethicone part is lipophilic. And as amphiphilic molecula, it has surface active properties : PEG-12 Dimethicone has a HLB value of 14. According to Grant Industries, it is thus ideally suitable for use in O/W type emulsions where a silicone gel or oil is present in the oil phase.
Here are summarized the main properties of PEG-12 Dimethicone :
- Effective surface tension depressant
- Excellent conditioning
- Imparts a silky soft feel
- Detackifies greasy formulations
- Good foam builder
- Low usage levels required
- Compatible with a wide range of cosmetic ingredients
- Ensures smooth wet shaving foams
In Skincare products, it is mainly used as emollient and lubricant.