Silica Silylate is a siloxane polymer. Siloxanes are chemical compounds built around Silicium atom (Si), with empirical formula R2SiO, R could be organic. Siloxanes are made of chains alternating Silicium and Oxygen atoms (-Si-O-Si-O-Si-O-Si-). Siloxane name comes from Silicium, Oxygen and Alkane.
Silica Silylate is a non-water soluble powder. Dow Corning supplies it under the tradename VM 2270 Aerogel Fine Particles and says it is a highly efficient thickener, sebum absorber and soft focus agent (impacts the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles). It can be used as a thickening agent for organic oils. Its benefits in cosmetic formulas are summarized below :
- Superior oil and sebum absorption
- Highly efficient viscosity enhancement (thickening) of oil phase
- Capable of absorbing polar and non-polar oils
- Fragrance delivery and retention
- Impacts the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles
- Allows for cold processing
It is also supplied by Wacker under the tradename HDK H2000.