L’Oréal launches this April 2017 a new anti-dandruff range under its Elseve range, without Zinc Pyrrithione, but with essential oils.
This is the new attempt of L’Oreal Paris to install a true competitor to P&G’s Head & Shoulders Anti-dandruff shampoos : L’Oreal is launching with Elseve a range of 6 anti-dandruff hair cares under the new range “Phytoclear” :
- Elseve Phytoclear Anti-dandruff Shampoo for Normal Hair
- Elseve Phytoclear Anti-dandruff Shampoo for Oily Hair
- Elseve Phytoclear Anti-dandruff Shampoo 2-in-1 for Normal Hair
- Elseve Phytoclear Purifying Pre-Shampoo Scrub
- Elseve Phytoclear 7-day Anti-dandruff Lotion
The claimed innovation of this range is the use of 3 essential oils, in silicone-free formulas, eliminating “up to 100% of visible dandruff”.
The claimed essential oils used are : tea tree oil (MELALEUCA ALTERNIFOLIA LEAF OIL / TEATREE LEAF OIL), cedar oil (CEDRUS ATLANTICABARK OIL) and pepper mint oil (MENTHA PIPERITA OIL / PEPPERMINT OIL).
The name “Phytoclear”, and the claims on essential oils could let the consumer think that the dandruff are eliminated with these natural essential oils. But the formulas also contain Piroctone Olamine, a classic anti-dandruff ingredient, sold for example by Clariant under the tradename Octopirox, and claimed on front of pack as “Octolamine”.